Saturday, January 17, 2015

Laser fauns


I have finally learned to use the lasering machine in our school. 
I have wanted to learn how to operate the laser machine since the day it arrived at our school, but with a tight schedule and lots of projects going on non-stop, I have never gotten the opportunity until this Friday. Finally there was some free time to thoroughly sit down and make something with laser cutter.

So I decided to make these little creatures. I've had these fauns already made into stickers and they were pretty popular among people at anime conventions and Christmas markets. So last time I was at Yukicon in Espoo, some people asked me if I could make these fauns into magnets, so I decided to give it a shot and it was a great excuse to finally try out the machine.

The machine was pretty easy to operate. The only problem that I came across was that the original design had too much narrow parts in it which might have snapped off in the use, but other than that the final product seems to be pretty durable now that I fixed that problem. 

I love the smoky smell that these fauns have from the laser burning through wood, it reminds me of sauna in the forest.. very nostalgic. The wood I used is birch (just because Lahti has almost a non-existing range of plywood that's just the right thickness) but the plywood I got turned out to be just fine. I've heard that some students from our school have found pretty bad quality plywood to work with, so it was my luck that the sheet that I found was decent.

The magnets will be available at Desucon Frostbite this February.



No comments:

Post a Comment